Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail notification/badge broken by iPadOS 15.4.1

I have two email accounts set up in the Mail app (one at gmail, the other at yahoo, both IMAP). I have them both set up to check for mail every 15 minutes, with both an audible notification and a badge on the Mail icon. Up until now, this had been working even with my iPad closed (screen sleeping) and on the home screen. But since updating to 15.4.1, email notification and badge do not occur until the screen is on and the Mail app is opened, sort of defeating the whole purpose of the notification and badge. When the iPad is closed (screen sleeping, but WiFi still on) I should get the audible notification, but that's not happening; When I open the iPad there is no badge on the Mail icon. Mail is simply NOT checking for new mail every 15 minutes as instructed in the settings. What have they done to my Mail, ma?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 5:29 AM

So... this condition was very persistent over two days. Then it occurred to me that the iPad was running on what was perhaps the initial re-boot after the 15.4.1 update, and maybe some background process hadn't gotten started during that re-boot. So I powered down and then re-booted this morning and apparently that theory was correct. Now the notifications are occurring without running Mail, and even when the iPad is sleeping. And upon waking up, the badge on Mail is present showing the correct number of unread emails.

So I guess I learned a new lesson: After an OS update is finished, re-boot the iPad even if it seems to be running OK. That initial boot apparently doesn't start everything it should.

Case closed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 5:29 AM in response to frank7070

So... this condition was very persistent over two days. Then it occurred to me that the iPad was running on what was perhaps the initial re-boot after the 15.4.1 update, and maybe some background process hadn't gotten started during that re-boot. So I powered down and then re-booted this morning and apparently that theory was correct. Now the notifications are occurring without running Mail, and even when the iPad is sleeping. And upon waking up, the badge on Mail is present showing the correct number of unread emails.

So I guess I learned a new lesson: After an OS update is finished, re-boot the iPad even if it seems to be running OK. That initial boot apparently doesn't start everything it should.

Case closed.

Apr 7, 2022 8:24 AM in response to frank7070

Whoops. Apparently case NOT closed. After my reboot yesterday, the notifications and badge stuck for part of the day, then around mid-afternoon, I once again stopped getting them in spite of new incoming mail. It was back to "open the iPad and start the Mail app" before it would detect the new mail. Back to square one.

So there is DEFINITELY a problem with iPadOS 15.4.1. It starts out after a reboot working properly, then quits for no reason.

How can I get Apple to address this problem?

Mail notification/badge broken by iPadOS 15.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.