Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I use a QNAP NAS for a TimeMachine; in Migration Assistant, I never get list of backups, why?

I use a QNAP NAS for a TimeMachine; when in Recovery Mode I can connect to NAS and see list of backups, but I can't use them, I am told to Reinstall OS and use Migration Assistant to restore. But once in Migration Assistant, after authenticating I never get list of backups, why?

I have the same problem with an older Mac Mini and a 2017 MBP, both with Monterrey. QNAP NAS is running 4.3.3, and I upgraded to latest HBS3 backup software.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 3:50 PM

I did indeed find my solution on the QNAP forums. Problem was SMB 3.0, once I figured out how to enable (forcibly) Migration Assistant was able to open my Backups and is now working on transferring my information.

I might have gone directly to QNAP forums instead if "Recovery Mode" had not been able to see my backups, I'm still curious as to how... inconsistent Apple products!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 3:50 PM in response to RockyMtnFlier

I did indeed find my solution on the QNAP forums. Problem was SMB 3.0, once I figured out how to enable (forcibly) Migration Assistant was able to open my Backups and is now working on transferring my information.

I might have gone directly to QNAP forums instead if "Recovery Mode" had not been able to see my backups, I'm still curious as to how... inconsistent Apple products!

Apr 7, 2022 12:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

I know that on the newer TS-932PX, I have to manually connect to the NAS using SMB://... to see the TM backups, but on this older version that method fails to connect to the NAS, so I attempt to use the NAS that shows up automatically as a TM source.

I know DHX2 authentication is required for AFP, and it's enabled. Not sure if SMB3 is supported on the older, which may be the problem with trying to force that method of connection...

It's really frustrating that I can see the backups in Recovery Mode, but can't use them, hopefully this gives the Apple folks a clue...

I use a QNAP NAS for a TimeMachine; in Migration Assistant, I never get list of backups, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.