Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(Migrating from TimeCapsule and Choosing a New User for my New MBPro) 2 QUESTIONS

I have a 2012 MBPro it has 10years of info on it which totals 680GB stored on it, most of it being documents and photos. I dumped of 40GB of old documents i dont need anymore, down to 640GB it is all backed up to my 5th Gen TimeCapsule, My oldest back up is 3/25/2018.

I also had 2 users both were administrators, 1 original and a second after my hard drive was changed and i migrated a backup from my TC. i choose change the rename option not realizing that would keep the old user & home folder and create a new home folder and user. so i thought when i migrated to my new 2021 MBPro i was going end up with a third user. So i got this idea ill delete 1 user/admin before the migration, not knowing i could choose to replace the account and the old home folders would be deleted. That being said

i asked in an apple forum could i delete 1 of the users because i did not want them on the new MBPro, i was told yes i could as long as they were both Administrators. I was also given the same advice here in apple communities after the fact. This is not true, upon deleting 1 of the Administrators i lost access to some of my TimeCapsule, I could go into Time Capsule see all my backups back to 3/25/2018, but i could only select backups after date i deleted 1 of the 2 Administrators, which caused my to lose access to 4 years of TC backups.

I have a new 2021 MBPro M1 Max that i will be setting up, I am going to use Migration Assistant and i will be choosing a new user and delete the old user as shown in the image below underlined in green.

Questions:

1) when i migrate from my TC choosing the option underlined in green, will this NEW USER be the new Administrator & have access & control of everything Migrated over to the new MBPro?

2) is this migration going to migrate over all the backups on my TC all the way back to 3/25/2018 giving me (the New Administrator) my access back in time machine to all of backups i can currently see in time machine but can not access?

on my 2012 MBPro when i go into TimeMachine after the day i deleted 1 of the 2 Administrators i can access everything except some emails are blank, so i got out of TimeMachine and into my email, those same emails are are blank, i figuring this is due to encryption and the deletion of that 1 Administrator.

there is one particular email i would like to retrieve that was accidentally deleted 3 weeks ago. im hoping after migration to the new 2021MBpro i will be able to enter time machine as the new and only administrator go to the day before i deleted the email and restore it.

thank you all.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 4:08 PM

there is one particular email i would like to retrieve that was accidentally deleted 3 weeks ago. im hoping after migration to the new 2021MBpro i will be able to enter time machine as the new and only administrator go to the day before i deleted the email and restore it.

As explained in another recent post, you now have in effect a "new" Mac as of the date of the Migration. The Mac will be able to access Time Machine backups that it has made from the date of the Migration going forward. In other words, if the Migration occurred on April 3 and the first Time Machine backup was on April 4, the Mac will be able to use Time Machine to access backups that were made from the Mac using Time Machine from April 4 going forward.

The "new" Mac will not be able to use Time Machine to view any backups that were made prior to the time of the Migration......because the "new" Mac did not make those backups.

I have a new 2021 MBPro M1 Max that i will be setting up, I am going to use Migration Assistant and i will be choosing a new user and delete the old user as shown in the image below underlined in green.

Questions:

1) when i migrate from my TC choosing the option underlined in green, will this NEW USER be the new Administrator & have access & control of everything Migrated over to the new MBPro?

Yes

2) is this migration going to migrate over all the backups on my TC all the way back to 3/25/2018 giving me (the New Administrator) my access back in time machine to all of backups i can currently see in time machine but can not access?

No, you will not be able to use Time Machine to access any backups that occurred before the date of the Migration......becasue you have in effect a "new" Mac on the date of the Migration.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 4:08 PM in response to bikeman5

As explained in another recent post, you now have in effect a "new" Mac as of the date of the Migration. The Mac will be able to access Time Machine backups that it has made from the date of the Migration going forward. In other words, if the Migration occurred on April 3 and the first Time Machine backup was on April 4, the Mac will be able to use Time Machine to access backups that were made from the Mac using Time Machine from April 4 going forward.

The "new" Mac will not be able to use Time Machine to view any backups that were made prior to the time of the Migration......because the "new" Mac did not make those backups.

Questions:

Yes

No, you will not be able to use Time Machine to access any backups that occurred before the date of the Migration......becasue you have in effect a "new" Mac on the date of the Migration.

(Migrating from TimeCapsule and Choosing a New User for my New MBPro) 2 QUESTIONS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.