Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2020 battery defect?

Hi,

I have an issue with my recent Macbook Pro 13-inch, 2020. (MacOs Monterey 12.3 and always updated)

I've only 3 tabs opened on Chrome (browser always updated), no other app is running and my battery drain within 2-3h. This issue happen since the first day of my purchase. See screenshot of usage and remaining time.

I went to the apple store to explain my issue and they didn't find any problem as everything has been updated correctly, and the health of the battery seems fine. They suggest switching to Safari... But using Chrome can drastically drain the battery like that?

Even watching movies need to be charged within 1hour.

Could you please give me some indications, on how to fix this or what would be the cause/solution?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 9:39 PM

hotsizzle33 Said:

"Macbook Pro 2020 battery defect?: Hi, I have an issue with my recent Macbook Pro 13-inch, 2020. (MacOs Monterey 12.3 and always updated) I've only 3 tabs opened on Chrome (browser always updated), no other app is running and my battery drain within 2-3h. This issue happen since the first day of my purchase. See screenshot of usage and remaining time.[...]"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

You need to reinstall the macOS. And to do that, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall. This may a few hours(if you have never made a backup and/or if you have lots stored on your internal hard drive), so be certain you have the time to do so.

Chrome Issue:

If Google Chrome is easting up too much of your barratry, then uninstall it and refrain from using it. Reinstalling the macOS may fix this, however.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 9:39 PM in response to hotsizzle33

hotsizzle33 Said:

"Macbook Pro 2020 battery defect?: Hi, I have an issue with my recent Macbook Pro 13-inch, 2020. (MacOs Monterey 12.3 and always updated) I've only 3 tabs opened on Chrome (browser always updated), no other app is running and my battery drain within 2-3h. This issue happen since the first day of my purchase. See screenshot of usage and remaining time.[...]"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

You need to reinstall the macOS. And to do that, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall. This may a few hours(if you have never made a backup and/or if you have lots stored on your internal hard drive), so be certain you have the time to do so.

Chrome Issue:

If Google Chrome is easting up too much of your barratry, then uninstall it and refrain from using it. Reinstalling the macOS may fix this, however.

Apr 7, 2022 8:55 AM in response to hotsizzle33

But using Chrome can drastically drain the battery like that?

Yes. Does that with Windows laptops as well. You will find that Safari and FireFox are less gluttonous of your computer's resources

Even watching movies need to be charged within 1hour.

Watching video, either streamed or from your internal storage, is among the most energy-hungry tasks. Decoding video works both the CPU and GPU very hard.

There are some other software causes of short battery runtime other than Google's flagship Hungry Hippo:

• anti-virus software
  • so-called "cleaning" apps
  • Torrent software or any apps that "phone home' in the background
  • Videoconferencing, for the reasons above.

among others.

Your battery numbers posted are not giving me heartburn. In fact, compared ot other users' battery posts I've seen, it appears you have managed yours well.

If you stop with the Chrome thing and your find the runtimes are fine for your workflow on battery, then you are doing OK. 81% health at nearly 900 cycles is pretty close to Apple's wiggle-worded statement of expected battery life as "80% health at up to 1000 cycles." Note the lawyerese, "up to."

Also know the many users have be able to give usable runtime with batteries with far more cycles than 100 and health scores much less than 80%.

Macbook Pro 2020 battery defect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.