Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

control key for left-handed users.

Is there a way i can bind ‘control’ to a different key on the right side of the keyboard?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 11:09 PM

As TheLittles has said, feedback is the best action.

You can, however, change the function of modifier keys using System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys to alter the behaviour of another one of these keys to act as a control key, perhaps the option key - one of which is on the right of the space bar. However, you will lose the function of the option so this isn't much of an...option.

You might consider buying Apple's Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad or Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon. These are built with a control key on the right. They are, though, a high price to pay for the convenience of one key in a different place. Perhaps for you next Mac though?

One of my household is a left-hander so I understand your frustration.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 11:09 PM in response to dfibdpfiv

As TheLittles has said, feedback is the best action.

You can, however, change the function of modifier keys using System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys to alter the behaviour of another one of these keys to act as a control key, perhaps the option key - one of which is on the right of the space bar. However, you will lose the function of the option so this isn't much of an...option.

You might consider buying Apple's Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad or Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon. These are built with a control key on the right. They are, though, a high price to pay for the convenience of one key in a different place. Perhaps for you next Mac though?

One of my household is a left-hander so I understand your frustration.

Apr 5, 2022 10:10 PM in response to dfibdpfiv

dfibdpfiv Said:

"control key for left-handed users. : Is there a way i can bind ‘control’ to a different key on the right side of the keyboard?"

-------

Modifying Keys:

Not that I'm aware of, other than modifying a few things in code(avoid doing so). You might be able to create an app for this. So, recommend this to Apple.

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback thy receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Application/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on why this seems ridiculous 
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

Apr 5, 2022 11:45 PM in response to David McKinlay

oh okay, thank you. i didn’t really feel like coding again on it anytime soon lol. i’ve only ever really worked on my macbook air, so i didn’t even think that their regular keyboard had a different config. I’ll just buy a separate one then. it’s worth it because i use my mac for work, and i need to use the control key while using the trackpad in order to get precise control within certain programs.

control key for left-handed users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.