Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three finger tap lookup in Ventura is gone?

Hi, I've been deferring MacOS upgrades for a couple of years (ageing hardware couldn't take the new releases). Just purchased a new Mac and wanted to keep on reading in foreign languages I'm learning. I used to tap three fingers on the trackpad to lookup, but that option seems to be gone in Ventura. Is there a terminal / hidden settings thingy I could do to make it come back?

Thanks

MacBook Air, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 9:02 PM

It appears as though you found your answer!

Three finger tap lookup in Ventura is gon… - Apple Community

I would just like to add, that for navigating system "preferences" (iykyk😜) I recommend utilizing the search bar within System Settings. In this instance, you wanted to know about Look Up settings.

Search Systems Settings > "Look Up"

> result in Trackpad Settings.

I find navigating in this fashion by using search is very useful. Many preferences can overlap and it can sometimes be difficult to find exactly what it is that we are looking for. In using your question, I don't really perform functions by using Three Fingers. In order for me to sync Three Fingers (for Touch or Swipe Gestures) I would most likely awkwardly shift my Ring Finger inwards. Collectively with my Middle and Index Finger, can I perform the function. But then to go back to typing, I would have to shift my Ring Finger outwards again. Therefore, I don't use Three Finger Gestures. I don't even know what those are! So, I use search...

Search In System Settings > "Three Fingers"

> Accessibility

> Use trackpad to zoom

> Trackpad

> More Gestures

However, what do you like to Look Up? Have you tried using Spotlight?

Spotlight Search > results

Search in System Settings

Look Up

> in Dictionary

> on Wikipedia

> in Folders & Apps

System Settings > scroll down the menu > Siri & Spotlight

> Select the categories to appear in Spotlight Search results.

> System Settings

> Control Center > scroll down

> Menu Bar Only > Spotlight > Show In Menu Bar

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 9:02 PM in response to sythra

It appears as though you found your answer!

Three finger tap lookup in Ventura is gon… - Apple Community

I would just like to add, that for navigating system "preferences" (iykyk😜) I recommend utilizing the search bar within System Settings. In this instance, you wanted to know about Look Up settings.

Search Systems Settings > "Look Up"

> result in Trackpad Settings.

I find navigating in this fashion by using search is very useful. Many preferences can overlap and it can sometimes be difficult to find exactly what it is that we are looking for. In using your question, I don't really perform functions by using Three Fingers. In order for me to sync Three Fingers (for Touch or Swipe Gestures) I would most likely awkwardly shift my Ring Finger inwards. Collectively with my Middle and Index Finger, can I perform the function. But then to go back to typing, I would have to shift my Ring Finger outwards again. Therefore, I don't use Three Finger Gestures. I don't even know what those are! So, I use search...

Search In System Settings > "Three Fingers"

> Accessibility

> Use trackpad to zoom

> Trackpad

> More Gestures

However, what do you like to Look Up? Have you tried using Spotlight?

Spotlight Search > results

Search in System Settings

Look Up

> in Dictionary

> on Wikipedia

> in Folders & Apps

System Settings > scroll down the menu > Siri & Spotlight

> Select the categories to appear in Spotlight Search results.

> System Settings

> Control Center > scroll down

> Menu Bar Only > Spotlight > Show In Menu Bar

Dec 31, 2022 3:51 AM in response to sythra

I have 13.1 on an M1 iMac and its working with the trackpad. I have noticed however, that it requires a firm press on it after hovering the mouse over the word in order to work properly . I'd also check to see if there are any conflicting settings in your trackpad settings in, System Settings, Trackpad, More Gestures. Is the trackpad working normal for all other operations? Also if none of that helps, try disconnecting it from bluetooth, then reconnect it and test it again.

Jan 1, 2023 4:54 AM in response to dialabrain

That's the one! I actually found out that option by deactivating the Force Touch with one finger, then the next line just appeared. I have now access to the second line for the Look up & Data Detectors, for some reason that row was hidden. It may be a language thing though, as my computer is set in Japanese.

Thank you for your help, problem solved!

Have a great day!

Three finger tap lookup in Ventura is gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.