Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three finger tap won’t lookup automatically in new MacBook pro 2022

I cant get 3 finger tap to bring up automatic thesaurus lookup in M1 Mac book Pro 2022.

are settings awry and need changing somehow or is this an OS problem?

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 8:22 AM

Computed wrote:

I cant get 3 finger tap to bring up automatic thesaurus lookup in M1 Mac book Pro 2022.

You can make changes

>System Settings>Trackpad

Change Trackpad settings on Mac - Apple Support

Look up words on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2022 8:22 AM in response to Computed

Computed wrote:

You can make changes

>System Settings>Trackpad

Change Trackpad settings on Mac - Apple Support

Look up words on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Computed

Three-finger tap (Lookup and Data detectors) is not enabled by default in the Trackpad settings. One can also position the trackpad cursor over a candidate word (no need to select it) for lookup and press control+cmd+D to open the Lookup panel.

The order of your dictionary choices in the Dictionary App and inherently their order on the Dictionary toolbar will be the top to bottom order on the Lookup panel.

Nov 12, 2022 9:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, yes, the Cont-Com-D works for dictionary but not Thesaurus. I did finally discover that by enabling all the haptic preferences in toolbar I can get the thesaurus to come up straight away by using a one finger or 3 finger haptic press. It took me a while to get the hang of it but then thing seemed to work. Very different than my old mac and far less user friendly. But it works when you figure out the right touch.

Three finger tap won’t lookup automatically in new MacBook pro 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.