Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to unlock my iPhone to upload photographs into Photos

Well, that's the question, really: Why do I have to unlock my iPhone when I connect it to my iMac Pro using a lightning cable? Why don't both machines recognise each other as being mine?

Thanks

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 7:54 AM

If the passcode requirement is truly that annoying, you can circumvent manual synchronization by using iCloud.

The free tier of iCloud supports 5GB of storage. Photos taken on your phone would be automatically uploaded to iCloud when your phone is connected to WiFi.

Your entire library would then be available to all of your Apple devices signed in with your Apple ID without manual synchronization.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 7:54 AM in response to Nightowl4933

If the passcode requirement is truly that annoying, you can circumvent manual synchronization by using iCloud.

The free tier of iCloud supports 5GB of storage. Photos taken on your phone would be automatically uploaded to iCloud when your phone is connected to WiFi.

Your entire library would then be available to all of your Apple devices signed in with your Apple ID without manual synchronization.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Apr 6, 2022 4:16 PM in response to Nightowl4933

It's a security measure.

When you connect your iPhone to a new computer, you'll be promoted to "Trust This Computer" on your iPhone. Unless you erase your machine or iPhone or change your trust setting you should only be prompted once.

About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Learn about trusted computers and find out how to change your settings.

What the trust settings on your device mean

When you connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a computer or other device for the first time, an alert asks whether you trust the computer:

Trusted computers can sync with your device, create backups, and access your device's photos, videos, contacts, and other content. These computers remain trusted unless you change which computers you trust or erase your device.
If you choose not to trust a computer, you block its access to content on your device. You'll see the trust alert every time that you connect your device to that computer.

Apr 7, 2022 12:59 AM in response to BrotherEye

I kind of understand that, thank you.

Neither the phone nor the computer are new, and have had a 'relationship' for several years, but it's just mildly irritating that, when I connect my phone to the Mac, Photos starts up automagically but I need to unlock the phone before I can upload the images, yet iTunes doesn't start up automagically and synchronises without any prompting.

Is that a trust thing? I don't get the "Trust this computer?" prompt.

Thank you.

Why do I have to unlock my iPhone to upload photographs into Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.