Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There was [an unnamed] problem connecting to the server

1. Why doesn't that message give more information, even if via a link?
  2. the server is on my LAN and is pingable
  3. the Linux server is exporting a CIFS/SMB file system visible elsewhere. It is available despite:

"The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

Ping works, either to the IP address or to the name in the /etc/hosts file.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 10:04 AM

It turns out that it's been a long time since I set up a Linux SMB server and not all the instructions on how to do that cover the password stuff very well. It's a necessary ingredient. On the Linux server:

sudo smbpasswd -a $USERNAME

sudo smbpasswd -e $USERNAME

The first will add a user once you've typed the password twice, the latter enables it. (Why I have to then enable it is another question.)

Edit: that still does leave the question as to why the message wouldn't say, "authentication failure".

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 10:04 AM in response to Youdonotneedauniqueusername

It turns out that it's been a long time since I set up a Linux SMB server and not all the instructions on how to do that cover the password stuff very well. It's a necessary ingredient. On the Linux server:

sudo smbpasswd -a $USERNAME

sudo smbpasswd -e $USERNAME

The first will add a user once you've typed the password twice, the latter enables it. (Why I have to then enable it is another question.)

Edit: that still does leave the question as to why the message wouldn't say, "authentication failure".

There was [an unnamed] problem connecting to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.