Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod minis won’t play as stereo pair

I have had my 2 homepod minis set up as a stereo pair with my Apple TV since Christmas 2022 and they have worked perfectly, but yesterday they stopped working as a stereo pair. When I try and play a tv show it will only play on my left HomePod and not my right one. I have gotten them to play music on both at the same time but they weren’t paired as a stereo pair, they were separated. I have Ungrouped them, restarted them, Factory reset them, I have tried absolutely everything that I know of and have found on the internet and this forum but nothing seems to be working. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 9:36 PM

HomePods, particularly a stereo pair, need a very stable peer-to-peer relationship on their WiFi LAN, and are a bit sensitive to WiFi issues... Indeed, a quick Google search of this "unable-to-create-stereo-pair" issue usually points to WiFi router issues - either a router that fails to enable proper/stable peer-to-peer communications when one homepod gets switched to 5mHz whilst the other's on 2.4, or other issues in a mesh router setup.

I would start by unplugging your wifi router for a minute or so and rebooting it, then unplug the homepods and reset/setup as you've been trying to do.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 9:36 PM in response to Deanset

HomePods, particularly a stereo pair, need a very stable peer-to-peer relationship on their WiFi LAN, and are a bit sensitive to WiFi issues... Indeed, a quick Google search of this "unable-to-create-stereo-pair" issue usually points to WiFi router issues - either a router that fails to enable proper/stable peer-to-peer communications when one homepod gets switched to 5mHz whilst the other's on 2.4, or other issues in a mesh router setup.

I would start by unplugging your wifi router for a minute or so and rebooting it, then unplug the homepods and reset/setup as you've been trying to do.

Apr 7, 2022 11:58 PM in response to Deanset

Glad it helped! Hopefully it'll work for another five months without acting up again :-). Next time, remember to just reboot the router and the HomePods should repair/re-pair themselves without the resets, etc.. Also, with some routers, things seem to be a bit more stable when the HomePods are assigned fixed IP addresses.

HomePod minis won’t play as stereo pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.