Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot set HomePod minis as default for ATV-HD

I have everything running 15.3, my ATV-HD and two Home Pod minis. The minis are paired together and are in the same room as my ATV in the Home app - yet I still cannot assign my Minis to be the default speaker - the option isn't there!

I can manually set the output to my Minis, but when trying to set the DEFAULT audio to my minis, I *only* see "TV Speaker" - yet holding the Home button and selecting the AirPlay icon on the panel on the screen, my Minis CAN be selected. They'll stay selected until I reboot, a power cycle or if I redirect audio somewhere else, like to my AirPods.

When I cycle the power, I *never* see the setup screen, shown in the directions, asking me if I want my HomePod minis to be the default output.

What gives?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 15

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 3:10 PM

I believe you need the Apple TV 4K for this default audio=HomePod(s) feature. Not sure why. If your Apple TV HD is new, I would return it for the 4K model... I don't see why they still sell the ATV-HD - maybe to justify the higher price of the 4K? (my cynical Product Marketing guy coming through :-).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 3:10 PM in response to djplong

I believe you need the Apple TV 4K for this default audio=HomePod(s) feature. Not sure why. If your Apple TV HD is new, I would return it for the 4K model... I don't see why they still sell the ATV-HD - maybe to justify the higher price of the 4K? (my cynical Product Marketing guy coming through :-).

Cannot set HomePod minis as default for ATV-HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.