Related Article: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I put photos in an album on my phone and only see it in that album

I’d like to move my photos into different folders/albums based on subject matter and have those photos appear only in those folders.

I know how to move the photos how I’d like them, I just do not know how to have them only show in the file I move them to. Is there a way to do this?

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 9:03 AM

It used to be possible in the earlier versions of Photos, before iOS 12 and macOS 14.

In the older versions we could simply hide a photo. It has been removed from the library views (Moments, Recents, All Photos), but remained visible in the user defined albums. This made it easy to distribute photos across albums by hiding the photos, that had been added to albums. But quite a few users complained, that "hidden" photos kept popping up in the albums and where not really hidden. They wanted a tool to keep confidential photos completely secrete. Apple listened and changed the behaviour of "hiding" since iOS 12. It is no longer a tool to weed out the Photos views by hiding photos, we are finished with organising, but it is now a tool to keep photos completely secret. A hidden photo is now completely invisible and can only be viewed in the Hidden album. And now the users are complaining that have no longer a tool to manage the library albums Recents, Days, Imports, All Photos, by temporarily hiding a photo, because hidden photos will vanish from all user defined albums as well.

It would have been better, if Apple had left the "hiding" as it has been and would have added a second tool to mark photos as "confidential" to hide them everywhere.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 9:03 AM in response to mistymarie1

It used to be possible in the earlier versions of Photos, before iOS 12 and macOS 14.

In the older versions we could simply hide a photo. It has been removed from the library views (Moments, Recents, All Photos), but remained visible in the user defined albums. This made it easy to distribute photos across albums by hiding the photos, that had been added to albums. But quite a few users complained, that "hidden" photos kept popping up in the albums and where not really hidden. They wanted a tool to keep confidential photos completely secrete. Apple listened and changed the behaviour of "hiding" since iOS 12. It is no longer a tool to weed out the Photos views by hiding photos, we are finished with organising, but it is now a tool to keep photos completely secret. A hidden photo is now completely invisible and can only be viewed in the Hidden album. And now the users are complaining that have no longer a tool to manage the library albums Recents, Days, Imports, All Photos, by temporarily hiding a photo, because hidden photos will vanish from all user defined albums as well.

It would have been better, if Apple had left the "hiding" as it has been and would have added a second tool to mark photos as "confidential" to hide them everywhere.

How can I put photos in an album on my phone and only see it in that album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.