Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it advisable to plug the iMac into a surge protector?

Is it advisable to plug the iMac into a surge protector board? If yes, what should I look for?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 7:06 PM

I also recommend products from both APC and Tripp-Lite. Knowing how no-name manufacturers like to cut corners to ridiculous extremes, saving literally a few cents here and there, I would never trust my products to them.

A UPS adds battery backup to surge protection, and is ideal.

6 replies

Apr 8, 2022 6:13 PM in response to rodneyfromqld

Add up the wattage for all your gear including your backup devices and such (and possibly also for a LED desk light) and choose your ride-over run-time, and this will size the battery-backup supply for you. A desk light? Gets very dark trying to shut down, when the power goes out at night.

Most battery-backup vendors will have sizing apps available on their websites.

I primarily use APC battery backup (APC Back-UPS or Smart-UPS, depending in context), though Tripp Lite also works well.

For some installs and cabling, acquiring one-foot electrical extension cords can be very helpful too, as that allows moving the wall-warts away from what can be space-constrained array of sockets.

If you cannot afford a battery backup, then absolutely yes, a surge protector is advisable. Again, choose one properly sized for the wattage of your gear.

Is it advisable to plug the iMac into a surge protector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.