Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choppy Dolby Atmos Continues from New AppleTV 4k

I’ve read far too many reports of the same thing I’ve been dealing with for months. Choppy Dolby Atmos playback from AppleTV 4k (newest version). I experience this through Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+, and Apple Music!

I have a hard line +300Mbps internet connection to my ATV, a certified hdmi cable (48gbps) from ATV to a Denon AVR x4700h, and then sound to a 5.1.2 Dolby setup. No video issues (thankfully). It is crazy that this has been going on for me since January 2022 when I set my new HT system. (Like others. I’ve tried every audio setting and Dolby Atmos always an issue).

As I came to search for solutions on the internet, I have found nothing but a lot of people with the same unfortunate problems. I agree with what many have said, we need an audio pass through option. I don’t know if it’s the decoding/re-encoding or that the processor in the AppleTV can’t perform it fast enough. Either way, let the signal go through to the AVR. It is WAY more capable at handling it!

Anyway, there are a fair number of threads on this topic here and on other HT sites. I’ve sent several complaints/ suggestions to Apple. I’m convinced they are the ones that can fix this, but we’ve had a few tvOS revisions since the beginning of the year and it doesn’t seem to be a priority!!

I have all Apple products in my house because I like how they typically just work. Well this unit doesn’t “just work”!

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 2:40 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Choppy Dolby Atmos Continues from New AppleTV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.