Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unplugging iPad Pro attached via Sidecar crashes my 2019 MacBook Pro

Hi. I have an iPad Pro plugged into my 2019 MacBook Pro via a USB to Lightning connection. I'm running Monterey 12.3.1 but this has been happening under all versions of Monterey.

If I unplug the cable without first going into System Preferences and disconnecting the iPad, the Mac will begin the process of hanging and eventually needs a hard reboot.

I've noticed some of the following:

• All defined networking connections (WIFI, ethernet, etc) are deleted from the Network system preferences dialog
  • All network connectivity grinds to a halt
  • The display system preferences window can no longer be opened
  • The machine will not restart via the Apple menu
  • The machine will not shut down via the Apple menu
  • The beach ball spins, spins, spins...

Anyone else having this problem and if so, how did you troubleshoot/fix it?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 10:21 AM

Little Snitch is the problem.

Deleting Little Snitch solved the issue and now Sidecar works as intended. When the USB cable is unplugged, the iPad goes black for a few seconds, then reconnects via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. When plugging in the cable, it switches back to USB.

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 8, 2022 9:21 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:
Again, I think Wi-Fi and Bluetooth provide all the Sidecar capability required.

Scenario:

• iPad connected via Sidecar using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • iPad gets low on power
  • iPad plugged into Mac USB-C to charge
  • Sidecar automatically switches to wired USB connection
  • Erroneously unplugging iPad crashes entire Mac

Well, thanks for trying.

Apr 8, 2022 7:19 PM in response to sberman

The OS should know when a device is incorrectly disconnected and handle it accordingly. I can unplug an external drive without ejecting it and the OS will tell me it was not ejected properly. I may lose data, but it doesn't make the OS unresponsive, requiring a hard reboot. It catches the improper disconnect and gives me an alert.

I can plug in my iPhone and in Finder, there is an eject button next to the device in the Sidebar. Clicking the eject button would be the proper way to disconnect the iPhone, yet if I unplug it, Finder no longer displays the details of the phone. It doesn't crash Finder, nor does it crash the OS. Finder handles the disconnect.

Yet, unplugging an iPad connected via Sidecar crashes the entire OS. The OS should be able to catch whatever error/exception is raised by the improper disconnect, handle it accordingly, and provide an appropriate alert, just like it does with an external drive. Just like it does with an iPhone.

Do you get this behavior on your Mac when attempting to unplug a Sidecar connected iPad?

Apr 8, 2022 7:31 PM in response to Barbatto

Barbatto wrote:

Do you get this behavior on your Mac when attempting to unplug a Sidecar connected iPad?

I would never use a cable to connect an iPad to a Mac for Sidecar. Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth should suffice.

And I would never incorrectly disconnect a device. Well, OK, I do make mistakes and have done so erroneously in the past, and accepted the consequences for my actions.

Apr 8, 2022 8:24 PM in response to Barbatto

Barbatto wrote:

Humor me and give it a try.

Sorry, no.

I’m a volunteer here. I’m more than willing to try new things when I (and perhaps others) can learn from doing them.

There’s absolutely nothing I would be interested in learning from doing what I see as a pointless exercise. Again, I think Wi-Fi and Bluetooth provide all the Sidecar capability required.

Good luck.

Apr 8, 2022 9:42 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

I understand.

Plugging iPad into wall power instead of the Mac avoids the issue.

Yes. And carrying around a generator would avoid the issue of not having access to wall power.

It's too bad level 10 is the highest level one can achieve here. Based on the quality of your answers, you deserve to go to 11.

Unplugging iPad Pro attached via Sidecar crashes my 2019 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.