Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HFS+ encryption gone ?

Is HFS+(encrypted partition) still available In Big Sur?

Looking at Disk Utility, it seem a big "no", only APFS (Encrypted) which creates containers. I get this from SSD point of view, but spinning disks too?

I tried to create encrypted partition in DU on my 4TB USB spinning drive, but the option is no longer there

After checking Terminal, (thinking its only from the GUI Apple removed it from), its not even in disksutil command either..

Anyone know why it's no longer available for spinning hard drives?

Apple's fine at keeping AFS around for connecting to legacy network equipment and devices, but they have no problem pulling the plus on encrypted partitions on usb external hard drives... (which uses different technology to SSD's)

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 7:23 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 9, 2022 12:16 PM in response to Tech198

Tech198 wrote:

Is HFS+(encrypted partition) still available In Big Sur?

I doubt it. It's gone in Monterey.

Looking at Disk Utility, it seem a big "no", only APFS (Encrypted) which creates containers. I get this from SSD point of view, but spinning disks too?

No. The whole encrypted SSD problem was always just blog fodder to drive clicks on social media.

Anyone know why it's no longer available for spinning hard drives?

HFS+ encryption requires Core Storage and apparently Apple really doesn't like Core Storage. Although social media is devoid of any real facts, it is good at directing market behaviour. At any given time (including right now) you can find some social media scare campaign regarding Apple security.

Just create an encrypted APFS disk instead.

Apple's fine at keeping AFS around for connecting to legacy network equipment and devices, but they have no problem pulling the plus on encrypted partitions on usb external hard drives... (which uses different technology to SSD's)

Not quite. You can still open existing HFS+ encrypted volumes. You just can't create new ones.

Apr 9, 2022 9:37 PM in response to etresoft

ya create new ones was what i meant.

I did read elsewhere yiou can install Catalina in VM to get around it... Still....kind of a long-winded approach just to create encypted HFS+ partition on a drive

To that end, it because a inconvenience. may as well just to encrypted APFS....

Even if there was a 3rd app that did it, i would try it.... As developers usually like bring out apps, to 'fill in the gaps'

Apr 10, 2022 8:19 AM in response to Tech198

Tech198 wrote:

I did read elsewhere yiou can install Catalina in VM to get around it... Still....kind of a long-winded approach just to create encypted HFS+ partition on a drive

Have you made these encrypted partitions, or perhaps disk images, in the past? If so, you might need that Catalina VM just to read them one day. Monterey will not even open old encrypted disk images anymore. You can still open them using the diskutil command-line utility, but this is a Red Flag for anyone who like to use encryption.

To that end, it because a inconvenience. may as well just to encrypted APFS....

The path of least resistance.

Even if there was a 3rd app that did it, i would try it.... As developers usually like bring out apps, to 'fill in the gaps'

Serious developers don't like to do that. For one thing, that path of least resistance takes 90% of your customers. And since you are a Mac developer, you've already lost 90% of your customers. You lose interest in the app that requires tons of support from people with crazy use cases. One day, a major OS upgrade renders your app non-function. But you've long since checked out. All of you customers lose their data.

You can do a search on "iPassword" to see how this scenario has already happened to many people.

HFS+ encryption gone ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.