Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS upgrade from Sierra: which one?

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my MacOS from Sierra. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) with about only 60 GB free space.

I am unsure which upgrade would suit me as the Mac is pretty dated (still fully functional and fast though) and would not like to burden the hardware with a MacOS that is too new and too "loaded", thus resulting in a worse user experience for me.

Which MacOS would you recommend to me, so that I have the same speed as now (or more of course) and would not take more space?

I´ve been away from tech and upgrades in many years, so I need advice from more knowledgeable up-to-date users. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 9:50 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 9, 2022 11:09 AM in response to Valentina Gioppo

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Apr 9, 2022 11:13 AM in response to Valentina Gioppo

You're welcome.

You could do a bootable installer: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Or create an external Carbon Copy Cloner bootable clone prior to upgrading, then you could clone back that same setup to your internal drive and be right back where you left off when you created the clone.

I'd also recommend a Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

and Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Apr 9, 2022 11:00 AM in response to tjk

Thanks. Now I know what to go for. As a side question that occurred to me now: if the upgrade should give problems and I´d have to do a clean install from scratch, do I get the option to choose which MacOS to install or would I automatically get 1-the latest I am eligible for (Big Sur) or 2- the MacOS that came initially with my Mac in 2014?

Thanks again.

MacOS upgrade from Sierra: which one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.