Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change my apple id

I need to change my apple id. It is an email address (of course). I am changing my email address because I think it might have been compromised, and I receive TONS of spam. However, it will not allow me to change my apple id. (I am not talking about my password it is my actual apple id.) Every time I attempt to change it, I receive a notification that I am not allowed to change my apple id because it is the same where I receive notifications. "You must use a different email address." I must change my apple id to my new email address. Does this mean I must create another email address? In other words, I must maintain 2 separate email addresses merely to change my apple id? This seems crazy.

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply
7 replies

Apr 9, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Iafeef

Thanks for your response; however, nothing has changed. I went to the "change your apple id - apple support" location, and it was the one I had already been at. The other 2 are of no help either. It simply will not let me change, period. It says it cannot be the same email as where I receive notifications. This still seems to indicate I must have 2 separate email addresses. Moreover, I don't receive any notifications other than to my apple id email address.

Apr 9, 2022 2:21 PM in response to Iafeef

I can only login using my current email address. When I try to change my username to my "new" email address, it states I cannot use it. It states I cannot use the same email address as a username as the one I use for email notifications. I have therefore deleted my "new" email address from everywhere on my apple account. Thereafter, I have tried again to change my username but continue to receive this same message not allowing me to change my username. There is no other place (at least known to me) where my "new" email address is in the system. In addition, there is no one but me that even knows of, or therefore has access to in any way possible, to my "new" email address. It simply will not allow me to change my username, period.

Apr 9, 2022 2:44 PM in response to Iafeef

Thanks; I just called the support number. I was told that I must have 2 separate email addresses. 1 is for login purposes, and the 2nd is for emergency recovery purposes. Therefore, I must maintain 2 email accounts in order to have an apple id. Does this seem right to you? I don't know of anyone who MUST maintain 2 separate email accounts...

change my apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.