Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up disk Time Machine

Hello, what is the most reliable back up disk to use Time Machine on MacBook Air 2020, 8GB, 512 GB SSD? I had My Passport 1TB before on my previous MacBook Pro, but found out that it is not the best option nowadays. Will be so grateful for your recommendations!

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 3:41 PM

I have been using cheap (usually, free) hard disk drives pulled from Windows PCs installed in inexpensive enclosures. I don't handle them with any particular care. One recently failed after being generally mishandled for about twelve years.

The LaCie mobile hard disk drives are good.

6 replies

Apr 9, 2022 2:58 PM in response to ksenia266

The most reliable backup disk is more than just one backup disk.

Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi / HGST all manufacture equally reliable or unreliable hard disk drives. Since any storage device will fail eventually and can fail at any time, you need to have at least two.

SSDs are fast but speed is not a factor with Time Machine. Simplicity and reliability are. Also, for what it's worth, hard disk drives often exhibit signs of failure long before they fail completely. Sometimes, years in advance, during which time they continue to work. They may not work very well in that state of failure though. When Time Machine detects a failure it "locks" the last complete and intact backup, and lets you know.

On the other hand when SSDs fail, they generally do so catastrophically with no warning. The only SSD failures I experienced gave no warning at all. They just stopped working.

Apr 9, 2022 3:25 PM in response to John Galt

Grateful for your detailed answer, John!

I found LaCie 2 TB USB-C 3.0 Mobile hard drive before I saw your answer... I wonder if mobile hard drives might be a better option than SSD, judging from your experience? As you write that one should look for simplicity and reliability rather than speed. Anyways, I understand that I will need to have 2 devices.

Back up disk Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.