Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of the Macintosh HD - Data disk image

I want to donate my MacBook Air 2013 and before doing so, I of course wanted to delete everything. I restarted in Safe mode, launched Disk Utilities, erased both the "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Date" drives, quit Disk Utilities and rebooted. After about an hour, Mac OSX Catalina was installed and everything is fine. But now everytime I restart, I get three disk images: "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Date" and "Update". No matter how often I eject the last two, they keep coming back. I understand that the Data disk is essential, but is there a way to hide those icons so as not to confuse the next user, who may be a neophyte when it comes to the Mac? Thanks.

P.S.: In case it matters, I was running Big Sur before I deleted the entire content of the whole hard drive.

Daniel

MacBook Air 13″, 11.6

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 7:24 AM

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac

Followed by

How to reinstall macOS

Once the Reinstallation is done and Setup Assist is presented - use the Power Button to shutdown the computer.

The next time the computer is turned On - the setup Assist will appear for the next user

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 10, 2022 10:18 AM in response to babowa

I did go through that exact procedure before posting my rmessage (perhaps I should have mentioned that), but I still get the three disk images. I just zapped the PRAM again, in case the planets are now slightly more aligned, but to no avail. Unless I get THE answer today on this thread, I'll call the Apple Support Line and see what solution they can come up with. And if they manage to solve my problem, I'll post the solution here, in case somebody else has the same issue.

Daniel

P.S.: I'm not sure what your issue is, but I'm pulling for you too!

Apr 10, 2022 2:33 PM in response to Daniel Lacroix

Under Normal circumstances and the user has performed the Apple Method , be it this provide by @ babowa

or myself, the computer would have a Hidden Volume which is the Recovery Volume and then the Macintosh HD which is Read Only and where the Operating System resides and then the Macintosh HD - Data where the User Files are kept.

Now, if the user has performed this and has done as suggested to Powered Down once the Reinstallation is complete and Setup Assist is Not Activated - the use would never be able to see what is being reported as the problem

How to get rid of the Macintosh HD - Data disk image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.