Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in iCloud - Remove duplicates

I've successfully merged a number of old iPhoto / aperture and photos libraries together and they are now all safely stored in the cloud. There are however some duplicates. I have 78,000 images and wonder if there is any easy way to find and remove those duplicates while they are in the cloud. All of the duplicate apps I've tried just search for duplicate images in the photos library on the computer and do not search through those images visible in that same library but which are stored on the cloud. Any suggestions welcome.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 4:23 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 13, 2022 7:06 AM in response to shanzob

shanzob wrote:

... The hard drive was used for time machine before - however i deleted all the time machine files but did not format it. Why does using a drive that previously a time machine drive cause an issue? Does formatting the drive solve the issue? I might just reformat it anyway and start again.

Volumes with Time Machine Backups are having a special protection. This will cause problems with the file ownership and permissions when Photos is trying to update the Photos Library.

Formatting the drive should solve this problem: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Which system version is installed on your Mac? iPhoto and Aperture supported image and video formats, that are no longer compatible with Photos 5.0 on Catalina or later.

Such items can make the upload to iCloud hang. Also, if your Aperture Libraries have used referenced files, you should consolidate them into the library.

You may want to look out for status messages below the Library showing items "unable to upload" or "on this Mac only". Such items need to be removed from the library and converted to a more compatible format. Particularly old video codecs can be problematic, or sound files that you imported to Aperture as sound tracks for slideshows. Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2022 5:18 AM in response to shanzob

Leave the mac on 24/7 connected to power, Photos app open and (importantly) with sleep disabled. Proper intenet (no hotspot)

I use the caffeine app to keep the mac awake.

Try that for a couple of days, and see how it is getting on.

Don't be tempted to try to kick it into action by turning iCloud on/off or similar. That will restart the sync from the begining.

The external drive shouldn't cause a problem** - even though they are slow compared with an SSD, they are very much quicker than the sync process.

**as long as it is a corrrect format for a photos library. It needs to be APFS, or MacOS extended - not have been used for time machine, and not networked (no wifi or ethernet). It should also be possible to check the ignore ownership checkbox.

Apr 10, 2022 8:42 AM in response to shanzob

HI

If iCloud is synced with your mac library, then when you remove your images from your mac they are also removed from iCloud. iCloud is a sync service, not a backup service.

So run an appropriate dupliacate remover (see below) and duplicates will be removed from both your mac and iCloud - as long as you've not turned iCloud photos off)

Regarding an app:

Do NOT use a general file duplicate finder not designed to work with the photos library. They will damage your photos library and likely cause loss of your photos.

I personally use PowerPhotos (I also use this for copying images and data between libraries)
https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

Another suitable app recommended by experts here is PhotoSweeper (I have no personal experience of this one)

https://overmacs.com/

Both are paid apps. PhotoSweeper is the lowest cost and can recognise duplicates based on content, but PowerPhotos provides a lot of functionality in addition to the duplicate detection.

Apr 10, 2022 12:41 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks tony. I had multiple photo libraries plus photos on my phone that I have now merged together. I did that by opening each library on the Mac (previously they were stored on external drives as quite large) and then turning that library into the default system library so it uploads and merges with the library in the cloud. Then I’d switch to the next library and do the same. My iCloud storage is 2TB so has the space to do it. In this way I’m using iCloud photos to merge libraries and keep photos data intact. iCloud photos is turned on but only the originals from the last library I merged are stored on the mac hard drive. The other originals are all stored in the other 3 original photos libraries on the max (and also in the merged iCloud library). So in order to use a duplicate finding program (thanks for the suggestions by the way) I guess I need to have all those 78,000 ish images download back on to the mac. I don’t think there is enough space on my drive left to do this. I guess the only other way is to clean up the duplicates manually within photos app on whatever device. That’s another week of time gone!

Apr 10, 2022 1:17 PM in response to shanzob

Hi

No, you don't need to do that.

First : if you let the last library sync with iCloud complete, then it already has all the images downloaded. That is what iCloud does. Whatever is in your system library is synced with the cloud- but also the other way: Everything in the cloud is synced with your system library. Have a look in photos - every thing should already be there. If you are using optimise mac storage, then of course the full size originals are only in the cloud. In that case the duplicate removal software can work.

So then what you could do is sync your icloud with a new empty library on your external drive, and have that as the system library with all the photos synced and dowloaded for the de-dup software to work on. If you want to go that way, get back and I can post the steps.

Apr 13, 2022 4:25 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks Tony - I've now set up a new library on my external drive and its syncing with iCloud - (Download Originals to this Mac). So far it has been downloading for 2 days and the library is only around 11GB. Total size of the library is 575GB so at this rate it is going to take about 104 days to download. Any suggestions? Does having the library stored on the external drive considerably slow things down? Does the cloud only download when the Mac is idle? I have no issue with uploads of new images to the cloud and other devices and if I double click on an image in the photos library that has not yet downloaded it only takes a few seconds to get the full res version. Any suggestions appreciated.

Photos in iCloud - Remove duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.