Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail account already exists message

I changed my password on my email account and was having trouble re-syncing the emails or i took the advice from apple and removed the email account - now i cant re add it as i keep getting an error message saying "this account already exists" - can anyone suggest what to do?

thanks

Em

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 11:58 AM

Relevant post: Why does Mail say 'account already exists… - Apple Community

2 replies

Apr 24, 2022 4:24 PM in response to sidmouth_swallows

Hello Sidmouth_Swallows. I had the same issue. Just tried to change my email password. Everything works on all devices except the Mail App on MacBook. After going through many things - logging out of my Apple ID, reinstalling MacOS, etc etc with great support from Apple Technical Support, for me the solution was to create a new log-in on the Mac. Add the email account (internet account), then sign-in to my Apple ID on the new log-in. It was a lot of work, but it seems to be working. I am now trying to restore the precise settings for the full look and feel that I had before the transition on my Mac. I will keep the original log-in account for my Mac until I confirm that new one is working fine. Only real difference noted is that I see two choices for login account when I boot the computer and then I select the new one (which uses the same Apple ID). You may wish to try that.

It seems that there was something amiss with my MacBook account for some reason. But, given how many thousands of Mac users seem to running into similar issues, there is likely a bug that Apple needs to fix somewhere so this is not so regular an occurrence. I will say that I was extremely grateful for the Apple text/phone support on this.

mail account already exists message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.