Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the parentheses keys in the on-screen keyboard in iOS 15.4.1 when composing recipient phone numbers?

I know this might seem like the stupidest question of all time, but...:

In the the on-screen keyboard (such as in Messages app, for example) the two parenthesis keys ( "(" and ")" ) are available if you press the "123" button to get the keyboard with the numerals on it. The parenthesis keys are directly below the "5" and "6" keys.

HOWEVER, this is only true if you are typing the words in the body of a text message. But if you want to create a new message being sent to a new phone number that you have never yet sent a message to, and you click the little "New Message" square icon in the upper right of the screen, and the cursor then appears after the "To: " in the address line, then suddenly there are no parenthesis available in their normal place -- or anywhere else in the on-screen keyboard! At least as far as I can find.

The reason that this is significant is that I've noticed that when trying to type in a new phone number to send a text to, it often helps to type it out exactly in this format: " 1 (area-code) phone-number" -- just like that, with the parentheses included, and the hyphen between the prefix and the suffix -- rather then just typing in the 11 numerals without any formatting. When I send text messages from my Mac to new numbers, it sometimes won't work correctly if no formatting is included in the address line, but ALWAYS works correctly if you type it out fully formatted with spaces, parentheses and the hyphen.

But now on the iPhone -- that's not possible! Or it is? Where did they hide the parentheses in the on-screen keyboard for text-message addresses??? There are the brackets and curly brackets, but no parentheses anywhere obvious.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 2:35 PM

In my experience, when typing in a new number to send a text to on my Mac's "Messages" program, if I type in the formatting, the message get addressed correctly -- but if I type in the ten digits without any formatting, it might work, but often will not work. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why -- its just something I noticed.

So, your answer implies that there are in fact no parentheses in that version of the on-screen keyboard, as I suspected. Correct?

If so, why did Apple go to the trouble of removing them? If the parentheses are just ignored by the systems, then there's no harm in leaving them in the keyboard. They left on the addressing-keyboard nearly every other symbol and character which also are unnecessary in typing out phone numbers, yet went to the trouble of weirdly removing the only symbol that might be of any relevance. Strange.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 2:35 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

In my experience, when typing in a new number to send a text to on my Mac's "Messages" program, if I type in the formatting, the message get addressed correctly -- but if I type in the ten digits without any formatting, it might work, but often will not work. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why -- its just something I noticed.

So, your answer implies that there are in fact no parentheses in that version of the on-screen keyboard, as I suspected. Correct?

If so, why did Apple go to the trouble of removing them? If the parentheses are just ignored by the systems, then there's no harm in leaving them in the keyboard. They left on the addressing-keyboard nearly every other symbol and character which also are unnecessary in typing out phone numbers, yet went to the trouble of weirdly removing the only symbol that might be of any relevance. Strange.

Apr 10, 2022 2:12 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

The dash and parentheses are ignored by all phone systems; you don’t need them to call a number or send a text to a number. In addition, if you enter a 10 digit number and then tap the "+" to the right (or just tap in the text field) it will automatically format the number. you don’t even need the “1” ; that will be added also.

Where are the parentheses keys in the on-screen keyboard in iOS 15.4.1 when composing recipient phone numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.