Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Time Machine on a second external HD?

I just bought a new Mac Studio and purchased a 2TB SSD external drive for my client files.

I also purchased an 8TB drive (traditional, not SSD) as my Time Machine backup.

PROBLEM: While I can select my Mac Studio on Time Machine, the 2TB client external is grayed-out and I cannot select it on Time Machine.

Is there a solution for this? The client files are what I really need Time Machine to archive and backup.

FYI, my Mac Studio does not have enough storage to hold all my client files because the back order for a larger storage Mac Studio was impractically all the way until July.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 9:12 AM

I was the one that made that comment. In order for TM to back up to this APFS-formatted drive, the drive's volume used by TM, will be "dedicated" to TM.

If your goal is to use this drive for other purposes, in addition to TM, you have two choices:

1. Partition the drive to have multiple containers. What was called partitions in HFS+, are know called containers. Containers, on the other hand, can have multiple volumes. As a minimum have two containers. TM will properly format the container with a volume dedicated to its use. The other container can then be used for files.
  2. Keep a single container on the drive. Instead of creating another one, create as many additional volumes within the single container as needed.

Ref: Juggling with HFS+ and APFS partitions and volumes: a primer - The Eclectic Light Company

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 9:12 AM in response to Scarab and Bone

I was the one that made that comment. In order for TM to back up to this APFS-formatted drive, the drive's volume used by TM, will be "dedicated" to TM.

If your goal is to use this drive for other purposes, in addition to TM, you have two choices:

1. Partition the drive to have multiple containers. What was called partitions in HFS+, are know called containers. Containers, on the other hand, can have multiple volumes. As a minimum have two containers. TM will properly format the container with a volume dedicated to its use. The other container can then be used for files.
  2. Keep a single container on the drive. Instead of creating another one, create as many additional volumes within the single container as needed.

Ref: Juggling with HFS+ and APFS partitions and volumes: a primer - The Eclectic Light Company

Apr 11, 2022 8:57 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you, I will research how to reformat this disk as APFS.

As for your comment, "solely used for Time Machine" - this disk will be solely used to hold my graphic design files. I would like Time Machine to be able to access previous file versions in case of file corruption or if there is a need to return to an earlier version of the file.

You've been very helpful. I appreciate your time.

Can I use Time Machine on a second external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.