Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usin hotspot to connect laptop

My iPhone hotspot does not allow the laptop to connect. It does not prompt to enter the password. I already tried changing hotspot password and resetting network settings on phone.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 10:44 PM

Hi uthpala227,

To my experience, you've connected the hotspot to your laptop. Your laptop will remember that password and tries to join it with your old password. Try to click "Forget" on your device:

If you use a Mac:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Network.
  2. Select Wi-Fi in the list on the left.
  3. Click the Advanced button.
  4. The Wi-Fi pane shows a Preferred Networks list. Select the Wi-Fi network that you want your Mac to forget.
  5. Click the remove button (–) beneath the list. If you're asked to confirm, click Remove.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Click Apply.

If you're using a Windows device:

1. Open the Wi-Fi options bar
  2. Right click your hotspot
  3. Click "Forget"

After you're done, join the hotspot again and enter the password.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 10:44 PM in response to uthpala227

Hi uthpala227,

To my experience, you've connected the hotspot to your laptop. Your laptop will remember that password and tries to join it with your old password. Try to click "Forget" on your device:

If you use a Mac:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Network.
  2. Select Wi-Fi in the list on the left.
  3. Click the Advanced button.
  4. The Wi-Fi pane shows a Preferred Networks list. Select the Wi-Fi network that you want your Mac to forget.
  5. Click the remove button (–) beneath the list. If you're asked to confirm, click Remove.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Click Apply.

If you're using a Windows device:

1. Open the Wi-Fi options bar
  2. Right click your hotspot
  3. Click "Forget"

After you're done, join the hotspot again and enter the password.

usin hotspot to connect laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.