Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update MacOS

Hello everyone,

I'm currently on macOS Big Sur (11.6.2). For work, I need to update my Mac to at least 11.6.5. So from "Update" in "System Preference", I download the update and restart my Mac. Everything seems to go as expected. At the end of the reboot, I log in to my user again and nothing change. The version is still the same. I also try to install directly Monterey but still the same. What I notice is in "Disk Utility", I have three things:

1. Macintosh HD
    1. com.apple.os.update-...
  2. Macintosh HD - Data

If I right click on "Macintosh HD", "Read information", the system version is the updated one (11.6.5).

If I do the same for "com.apple.os.update-...", the system version is the old one (11.6.2) ... It should not right?

What's happening here?

Thanks a lot

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 7:41 PM

Hello Lindsay_B,

I already tried everything you said without luck. I ended up bringing my Mac to the Apple store. No hardware failure so they tried to install the update themself. Also Apple cannot install the update on my Mac so they are currently replacing the motherboard and the Touch ID button. Hope it can helps someone with the same symptoms as me.

Have a nice day

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 7:41 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Hello Lindsay_B,

I already tried everything you said without luck. I ended up bringing my Mac to the Apple store. No hardware failure so they tried to install the update themself. Also Apple cannot install the update on my Mac so they are currently replacing the motherboard and the Touch ID button. Hope it can helps someone with the same symptoms as me.

Have a nice day

Apr 12, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Vingte

Hi there, Vingte,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities for help updating your macOS. Based on what you've described, we would recommend restarting your Mac into safe mode and checking to see what the macOS version listed under the Apple  menu > About This Mac lists.

Safe mode runs some checks on your startup disk during boot, and will make repairs where it can. It also disabled certain processes that may cause a conflict with your system performance. In booting to safe mode alone, an issue in reporting the correct macOS version may be cleared. You can learn more about safe mode, including how to boot to it, here: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

We'd also suggest checking your Applications folder to see if there are any macOS installers listed. If so, drag them to the Trash, empty the Trash, and restart your Mac: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support.

If you continue to have trouble with the update, see if the Apple Support article If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support helps.

For additional help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly, which you can do here: Get Support

Have a wonderful day.

Cannot update MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.