Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore Notes functionality lost after it crashed?

Notes crashed; not sure why. When reopened it shows "No Notes". The app seems to be broken, for example, New Folder does nothing and the sidebar is empty. I cannot determine how to tell Notes to restore from iCloud, nor can I replace the app because it cannot be removed from Applications or downloaded from App Store.

Notes 4.9, Monterey 12.3.1

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 6:41 AM

Additional information. I tried restoring ~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes/ using Time Machine for a date before this machine was set up using Migration Assistant from the same Time Machine backups. Notes crashed; reopening after the crash got me back to the same dysfunctional state.

I also tried turning off Notes syncing to my iCloud account, then turning it back on. Notes then showed iCloud in the sidebar and began populating from iCloud. Maybe I'm good to go.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 6:41 AM in response to dialabrain

Additional information. I tried restoring ~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes/ using Time Machine for a date before this machine was set up using Migration Assistant from the same Time Machine backups. Notes crashed; reopening after the crash got me back to the same dysfunctional state.

I also tried turning off Notes syncing to my iCloud account, then turning it back on. Notes then showed iCloud in the sidebar and began populating from iCloud. Maybe I'm good to go.

How do I restore Notes functionality lost after it crashed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.