Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My system data is now using 143,37 GB of my HD!

I have tried to delete system data over a 100 GB but the files slowly come back. Now 3 weeks later again the system data uses more than half of my HD. But I don't know why and I don't know where that comes from? Does anyone have any idea? What is putting all these big system files in my system files?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 3:25 PM

Mine is taking up ¾ of the hard disk space. The "Free Up Space on your Mac" addresses the obvious places to get thin out files, but the System Data file appears to be integral with the MacOS that isn't addressed by those options. I see the spinning beach ball of death way more than I should, almost every action in Lightroom or On1 Photos Raw is held up. I addressed this with Apple support, even up into the upper levels, without any improvement. Did everything they suggested and still with ¾ of the disk space taken up with System Data.

Somehow need to get Apple involved, not just among the community to address this issue. Obviously, an OS issue that they need to address, that has been a problem for over a year. The problem is how to get them to do it. I don't even know if they ever even look at the issues brought up here in the Apple Community. Very frustrating.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2022 3:25 PM in response to Nikki_pasta

Mine is taking up ¾ of the hard disk space. The "Free Up Space on your Mac" addresses the obvious places to get thin out files, but the System Data file appears to be integral with the MacOS that isn't addressed by those options. I see the spinning beach ball of death way more than I should, almost every action in Lightroom or On1 Photos Raw is held up. I addressed this with Apple support, even up into the upper levels, without any improvement. Did everything they suggested and still with ¾ of the disk space taken up with System Data.

Somehow need to get Apple involved, not just among the community to address this issue. Obviously, an OS issue that they need to address, that has been a problem for over a year. The problem is how to get them to do it. I don't even know if they ever even look at the issues brought up here in the Apple Community. Very frustrating.

Apr 11, 2022 7:38 AM in response to Nikki_pasta

Nikki_pasta wrote:

I have tried to delete system data over a 100 GB but the files slowly come back. Now 3 weeks later again the system data uses more than half of my HD. But I don't know why and I don't know where that comes from? Does anyone have any idea? What is putting all these big system files in my system files?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c2d61d4f-0f6b-4433-afeb-d1d9dd84bfa4

Empty your Trash — Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

See used and available storage space on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

What is "Other" and What Can I Do About I… - Apple Community

free up storage Apple support video:

if no insight or resolve—

Try something like OmniDiskSweeper for a GUI to get a good look at itemized file size and location:

OmniDiskSweeper http://www.omnigroup.com/more

I suspect System Data includes temporary local snapshots. Try running in your Time Machine backup if it makes a change.

Thin local snapshots :

ref: https://eclecticlight.co/2020/04/09/where-did-all-that-free-space-go-on-my-apfs-disk/

My system data is now using 143,37 GB of my HD!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.