Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot my Apple ID on an iPhone X purchased in 2018

Hi Good day, I forgot my original Apple ID I used when purchasing an iPhone X in 2018. I’ve since upgraded my phone and I would like to sell my iPhone X to a friend but when they are trying to set up the iPhone X it is asking them for the Apple ID used when setting up the phone when purchased but I forgot the password which was used. How can I fix this?

iPhone X

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 8:42 AM

but I forgot the password which was used.

Check your Apple ID via your email box, see this Apple article: If you forgot your Apple ID

If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support                  

OR see -> Having trouble signing in?

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Then see this Apple article: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Then see -> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then chek, see this Apple article: Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in - Apple Support

Remove the iPhone X from your list.

Then your friend can sign in with his Apple ID.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 8:42 AM in response to RohanRampersad

but I forgot the password which was used.

Check your Apple ID via your email box, see this Apple article: If you forgot your Apple ID

If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support                  

OR see -> Having trouble signing in?

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Then see this Apple article: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Then see -> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then chek, see this Apple article: Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in - Apple Support

Remove the iPhone X from your list.

Then your friend can sign in with his Apple ID.

Apr 11, 2022 8:41 AM in response to RohanRampersad

Check the various places in Settings to see if the Apple ID shows there.

See if you can recover the ID/password. Use every email address you can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID.

Apple ID - Find  -       

If you forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage  -     

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

Then do the steps in the article below before selling the phone.

Selling/Giving Away Device.  *

Forgot my Apple ID on an iPhone X purchased in 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.