Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing photos when uploading

For about a month now whenever I click on upload only 4 rows of photos show up and they are not new ones. I haven't changed any settings that I am aware of.

I wonder if it is possible I have a virus. I opened photos one day last week and there was a message from someone I didn't know wanting to share a photo. I reported the message.

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 1:04 AM

OK - you have run out of space on your hard drive - so photos can no longer run any syncing with ICloud.

You will need to find a way to free up some space.

Alternatively you might want to consider moving your photos library to an external drive. If you do, make sure it is formatted correctly first as described here:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 1:04 AM in response to katers39

OK - you have run out of space on your hard drive - so photos can no longer run any syncing with ICloud.

You will need to find a way to free up some space.

Alternatively you might want to consider moving your photos library to an external drive. If you do, make sure it is formatted correctly first as described here:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 11, 2022 3:40 PM in response to katers39

Hi

It is because you have optimise mac storage set. That stores full size images only in iCloud. These are not available for the file picker for uploading.

You can force a download by viewing them full size, after which you should be able to upload them, or better still (IMO) export them first to a folder (using file>export) and upload them from the folder.

Apr 12, 2022 1:22 AM in response to katers39

Which system version is running on your Mac? it is suspicious that you are seeing only old JPEGs. How are the Settings > Camera Formats on your iPhone? are the High efficiency or Most Compatible? The media Browser may not be able to show you the new images, if you are taking heic images. In that case use the Export Method to upload photos, as download originals will not help to convert the format to JPEG and you do not have enough local storage to use „download originals“.

Apr 12, 2022 7:25 AM in response to katers39

O.k., there are only 10GB of local storage left on your Mac. That is not enough to be able to turn off "Optimise Storage".

I would enable "Optimize Storage" again for iCloud Photos, so the Mac can free storage and work again reliably. And try other methods to free storage - remove other downloaded large files, like music or videos.

When you want to upload photos, download the files you want to share by viewing them enlarged in Photos. This might make them appear in the Media Browser in other apps.

Missing photos when uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.