Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting from Photos

I’m trying to make space on a 2007 iMac. Running 10.11.6, by deleting photos.

I have copied a few to Google Photos then dragged to and emptied the waste bin. The photos did not disappear from the library.

My problem then is I have no recently deleted folder to empty and no option to show the recently deleted folder

Update: I now see that the photos are copying to the waste bin, so the originals are not being deleted. Why would that be?

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 3:09 AM

To delete from Photos:

In the Library: Select the image(s) you want to delete. Tap the Backspace key, confirm

The images are moved to the Recently Deleted folder. This folder is only visible if you have recently deleted items.

You can also delete by right-clicking on an image and selecting Delete...

In an album, you can do the same but hold the command key - so it's command-delete.

No deletions from Photos use the Finder trash on the dock.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 3:09 AM in response to Bigbert100

To delete from Photos:

In the Library: Select the image(s) you want to delete. Tap the Backspace key, confirm

The images are moved to the Recently Deleted folder. This folder is only visible if you have recently deleted items.

You can also delete by right-clicking on an image and selecting Delete...

In an album, you can do the same but hold the command key - so it's command-delete.

No deletions from Photos use the Finder trash on the dock.

Apr 12, 2022 3:10 AM in response to Bigbert100

How are you dragging them to the waste bin? In the photos app, or in finder. (By waste bin do you mean recently deleted)? If dragging in the photos app, do you get the pop up warning that it will be deleted. Where are you viewing the image? In the library view, or in an album. If in an album, then the default delete operation is just to remove from the album, not delete from the library.

How are you copying them to google? Export first, or directly from the app with the share button?

It might be worth using image>delete rather than drag.

Deleting from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.