Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Third party apps all hang

I woke my MacBook (Retina, 12", 2007 running 10.15.7) from sleep this morning, and I was getting the error that I had to sign in to my AppleID again for some services to work (which, were not specified). So I opened the AppleID system preference, then tried to open 1Password to retrieve my AppleID. 

First, I noticed that the LaunchBar app wasn't working, so I went to the Applications folder and ran LB; while there, I launched 1Password. Neither opened. No errors, they just wouldn't seem to launch.

I thought maybe something had hung, so I restarted the MacBook. It didn't seem to work: quite some time went by and no restart. So I forced a shutdown via the power button and then restarted.

Reboot seemed slow--the signin screen came very quickly, but the final 5-10% of the boot process bar took longer than normal (or seemed to). Then everything seemed OK but no third party applications would open; Safari and Mail opened normally, but Malwarebytes and BitDefender (I wanted to check for malware) would not, or any other non-Apple application I tried.

I rebooted in Recovery mode; it seemed slow to check for drives, but I can't recall when I last needed Recovery mode so maybe that's normal. Ran Disk Utility via Recovery and no errors found on either volume. FWIW, DU reported that the internal drive is "shared by 5 volumes" and displays two (Macintosh HD and MacintoshHD - Data); I never myself partitioned the drive, and might have expected two, with OS X having created a Repair drive, but no volume named "Repair." The side panel in DU shows:

Apple SSD AP0512J Media

> Container disk1

>>Macintosh HD

>>Macintosh HD - Data

Restarted and same problem remains. FWIW, I don't get the AppleID-signin alert anymore (everything in System Preferences seems normal). I tried to launch Malwarebytes and BitDefender again, but they don't appear in the applications switcher, or in Activity Monitor. 1Password, which is part of login items, does appear in Activity Monitor but I can't switch to it and it doesn't seem to open when I run it from Finder. 

When I tried to restart/shut down it was a SLOW process, and reported that certain 3rd party applications interrupted restart by failing to quit; these seem to be login items. I have to force quit them one at a time (as they are reported) from Activity Monitor and the MacBook restarted.

Restarted in Safe mode. Still couldn't get any 3rd party applications to launch. I shut down, and again it was slow--this time it was FrontendAgent that wouldn't quit, presumably from when I'd tried to run Malwarebytes. Forced-quit that (no login items had launched so that was all) and the MacBook shut down immediately and restarted, back in its "regular" state, with no non-Apple apps able to run, but even things like TextEdit launching.

What's going on? Am I just going to have to restore from Time Machine?

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 1:28 AM

Q - User wrote " I woke my MacBook (Retina, 12", 2007 running 10.15.7) "

A - In light of all previously supplied information and recently disclosed addition information - suggest the user seeks Professional Assist from Apple Authorized Service Provider or Genius at an Apple Store

Understanding, the User will need to verify with the Service Supplier regarding Warranties or Apple Care / Apple Care Plus for any coverages and costs involved.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 1:28 AM in response to Scott_R

Q - User wrote " I woke my MacBook (Retina, 12", 2007 running 10.15.7) "

A - In light of all previously supplied information and recently disclosed addition information - suggest the user seeks Professional Assist from Apple Authorized Service Provider or Genius at an Apple Store

Understanding, the User will need to verify with the Service Supplier regarding Warranties or Apple Care / Apple Care Plus for any coverages and costs involved.

Apr 12, 2022 7:16 AM in response to Scott_R

Running BitDefender - why ?

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS in-order to replace any modified, altered, removed or corrupted elements of the OS this software has inflected on this computer 

Although some or all of these Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store, it does not mean Apple has verified what exactly the Application can do, does do or is doing to the Computer. That responsibility is left to the User to perform their due diligence on the Application before purchasing and installing it.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

, This will include BitDefender ,

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Apr 12, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Scott_R

Sorry but I am confused as user wrote " Then everything seemed OK but no third party applications would open; Safari and Mail opened normally, but Malwarebytes and BitDefender (I wanted to check for malware) would not, or any other non-Apple application I tried."

Although is may not have launched it is installed

Apr 12, 2022 2:35 PM in response to Scott_R

Was there some type of an update the BitDefender.

There is a direct relationship between BitDefender on macOS, its' intended usage and what it does to the computer.

What the computer is experiencing now, IMHO is evidenced by the numerous after effects of this software and provied by the link in previous posting

The advise is offered in the best interests of the computer and the computer experience that can be had. It is also done on a volunteer basis and in good faith.

Apr 12, 2022 3:26 PM in response to Scott_R

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS in-order to replace any modified, altered, removed or corrupted elements of the OS this software has inflected on this computer

Although some or all of these Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store, it does not mean Apple has verified what exactly the Application can do, does do or is doing to the Computer. That responsibility is left to the User to perform their due diligence on the Application before purchasing and installing it.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender ,

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Apr 12, 2022 3:40 PM in response to PRP_53

Let me repeat the problem once more: NO THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL LAUNCH. NONE. If the application didn't come with OS X, it does not launch. This means that Etrecheck will not launch.

I did not have BitDefender running. I'd tested it out nearly a year ago as part of an attempt to diagnose some SPOD behavior that didn't respond to other diagnoses. I hadn't run it since. It was not running in the background and was not in login items. The only reason I tried it this time was because I was already having the trouble--if you look at my first post I ran BD only AFTER:

1) I was getting the error re: my Apple ID.

2) Launchbar would not open. 1Password would not open.

3) I tried to restart the Macbook but had to power down with the button and restart.

4) No 3rd party apps would run. Only THEN did I first try BitDefender, which hadn't otherwise been active for nearly a year. It had not updated or scanned my Mac at all since early 2021.

Apr 13, 2022 3:48 AM in response to PRP_53

What "recently disclosed addition information"? I didn't disclose anything recently--the problem and the steps taken were listed in the very first post. The title of the thread is "Third party apps all hang," which should have been a clue that Etrecheck wouldn't help.

I reinstalled a Time Machine backup and things are working.

Third party apps all hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.