Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since OS update my MacBook Pro defaults to External Headphones despite NVRAM reset

Hey All,

Since last night's OS update my MacBook Pro is defaulting to External Headphones despite NVRAM reset.

Anyone else having this problem?

What's the fix?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 5:21 PM

amymcn wrote:

Hey All,
Since last night's OS update my MacBook Pro is defaulting to External Headphones despite NVRAM reset.
What's the fix?

You do not specify exactly but Intel I suspect...

I would simply try again, disconnect all peripherals—including Bluetooth if that is your headphone

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

if no resolve try Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

if still no resolve try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

to clear certain system caches, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 5:21 PM in response to amymcn

amymcn wrote:

Hey All,
What's the fix?

You do not specify exactly but Intel I suspect...

I would simply try again, disconnect all peripherals—including Bluetooth if that is your headphone

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

if no resolve try Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

if still no resolve try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

to clear certain system caches, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Since OS update my MacBook Pro defaults to External Headphones despite NVRAM reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.