Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Data using 100GB of phone storage

Hello. I have a 128GB iPhone 11, which had a lot of storage space (approximately 70-80GB available). However, today my storage has become full because “System Data” is occupying 102GB. What’s the reason behind this and how will this be fixed? I have iCloud also.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 2:05 PM

It's kind of odd what that is. Various stuff may show up as "System Data", "Other", or "Used Files" depending on where you're looking at it, such as in Finder or iTunes.

A lot of may be discarded files that haven't been cleaned up yet, like cache and other stuff. Not sure why. The only way I know of to clean that up is to back up to a computer, then reset to factory settings, and finally restore from the backup. It's kind of tedious and it would make sense to double check that one knows any backup encryption password (otherwise it might not be possible to restore from the backup). The backup won't contain any of those files, so restoring from a backup typically gives the user a clean slate on all that junk that builds up.

Back up iPhone - Apple Support

Erase iPhone - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

It's kind of a drastic measure, but sometimes the only thing that works.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 2:05 PM in response to shayan185

It's kind of odd what that is. Various stuff may show up as "System Data", "Other", or "Used Files" depending on where you're looking at it, such as in Finder or iTunes.

A lot of may be discarded files that haven't been cleaned up yet, like cache and other stuff. Not sure why. The only way I know of to clean that up is to back up to a computer, then reset to factory settings, and finally restore from the backup. It's kind of tedious and it would make sense to double check that one knows any backup encryption password (otherwise it might not be possible to restore from the backup). The backup won't contain any of those files, so restoring from a backup typically gives the user a clean slate on all that junk that builds up.

Back up iPhone - Apple Support

Erase iPhone - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

It's kind of a drastic measure, but sometimes the only thing that works.

Apr 12, 2022 2:26 PM in response to shayan185

It does not. In the past you used to see this with pirated music files, more recently it usually involves photos and videos. If you have all of your photos also on your computer you can use Finder (with a Mac) or File Explorer on a PC and look for a file with a suspicious file size, sometimes they can be set of zero byte files or on that is multiple GBs large. If you can remove them and have the changes sync it might solve your problem. Another diagnostics step you can take is to archive your last backup then restore your iPhone as a new device. If the large amount of system space is gone it is definitely a corrupt file or files.

System Data using 100GB of phone storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.