Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Harddisk with a ?

hi everyone

Trying to save a old imac, I have a ? on my start disk on preferences system. Any idea to correct that?

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 8:12 PM

iMac (Late 2012) computers came with OS X Mountain Lion, not OS X Lion. So, it could be a 2011. To find out for sure, look at the serial number on the bottom of the stand of the iMac. Then, enter it here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support. It will tell you the year.

However, regardless of the exact year, it is too old to be serviced by Apple, unfortunately. So, you have two choices:

• Use an external SSD as the startup disk to run macOS externally from that: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community. If you choose this route, since the internal drive has failed, you cannot follow the exact steps outlined in the linked article. If you can let me know the exact year, I'll post modified setup steps.
  • Purchase a new Mac: Mac - Apple. The new 24-inch iMac computers are great! If you go this route, it is generally recommended that you purchase 16GB of Memory with the largest SSD that you can afford.

Jack

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 8:12 PM in response to lll

iMac (Late 2012) computers came with OS X Mountain Lion, not OS X Lion. So, it could be a 2011. To find out for sure, look at the serial number on the bottom of the stand of the iMac. Then, enter it here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support. It will tell you the year.

However, regardless of the exact year, it is too old to be serviced by Apple, unfortunately. So, you have two choices:

• Use an external SSD as the startup disk to run macOS externally from that: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community. If you choose this route, since the internal drive has failed, you cannot follow the exact steps outlined in the linked article. If you can let me know the exact year, I'll post modified setup steps.
  • Purchase a new Mac: Mac - Apple. The new 24-inch iMac computers are great! If you go this route, it is generally recommended that you purchase 16GB of Memory with the largest SSD that you can afford.

Jack

Harddisk with a ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.