Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old imag and it will not let me erase the hard drive only free space ...

I have an old iMac and it will not let me erase the hard drive only free space ... it is running 10.5.8

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 7:26 AM

To erase and format the internal hard drive, you will need to startup and run Disk Utility from the original gray 10.5 Install Disc #1, a Retail Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD or OS X on an External Hard Drive.

6 replies

Jul 17, 2020 7:20 AM in response to NotJobs

You need to boot from either the original DVD that shipped with the computer or a Snow Leopard DVD avaiable on E-bay. That is the only way you can erase the internal HD from Disk Utility. The SL DVD will look like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Os-X-Snow-Leopard-10-6-3-MAC-DVD-advanced-operating-system-macintosh-OSX/264791235868?hash=item3da6c99d1c:g:488AAOSwLmtfB-VV

I have an old imag and it will not let me erase the hard drive only free space ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.