Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad battery replacement or new iPad?

I have an iPad 5th gen with 48% of its original battery capacity and I was wondering, should I replace the battery or just buy a new iPad?

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 7:38 AM

That's a choice only you can make. Personally, given iPad 5 was released in 2017, 5 years ago, I would be more inclined to trade in the device and move up to a newer model iPad. Your iPad is getting closer to end of support, though we as users have no information when that will actually happen.

2 replies

Apr 14, 2022 7:15 AM in response to The_Lily

Hello The_Lily,

You can find some good information about your iPad battery here: About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Please check out the "Learn more" section of the above link for some information on how to determine if the battery needs to be replaced.

For more information on iPad battery service, please check out this link: iPad Service and Repair

If you have additional questions, please contact Apple Support. You may be able to reach them here: Get Support

Take care!

iPad battery replacement or new iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.