Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine slow in Monterey

One of the seniors I help with computer problems updated her 2019 iMac running Mojave to Monterey and her TimeMachine backups are taking four and five hours to complete.

Anyone have any insights or suggestions to offer?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 10:15 AM

Hi,

There's nothing you can do to "fix" Time Machine. Two options: get a new external drive and keep the other in storage, or erase it in Disk Utility (obviously they'll lose those backups), run First Aid on it, and put it back in TM service. After the initial backup, if backups still take that long, something may have been corrupted with the OS upgrade and I would reinstall Monterey in Recovery.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 10:15 AM in response to Room101A

Hi,

There's nothing you can do to "fix" Time Machine. Two options: get a new external drive and keep the other in storage, or erase it in Disk Utility (obviously they'll lose those backups), run First Aid on it, and put it back in TM service. After the initial backup, if backups still take that long, something may have been corrupted with the OS upgrade and I would reinstall Monterey in Recovery.

Apr 13, 2022 10:29 AM in response to tjk

I just saved this thread to my Reading List, where it will remind me to do so. Getting seniors to respond can sometimes be slow so for sure it will be a few days, but I will post back what her results are.

Under Mojave, her TM HDD would not have been formatted APFS, right? Wonder if that's the problem.

Time Machine slow in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.