Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes changed all my files to aac and deleted some songs

Why has apple music changed all my song files to AAC files? Also why are many songs missing from many albums I downloaded from my cd?

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 11:29 AM

iTunes doesn't change the format of songs by itself. There is the potential when using Apple Music or iTunes Match as a way of copying the library to a new computer for that format to change, as the new computer may get matched versions of your originals. The original files would remain in your computer unless you chose to remove them to free up space. Again downloading at a later date might give you AAC files, but this would be you in charge of the change, not iTunes. Missing song might be explained by you using Apple Music or iTunes Match to migrate you library while some content was still waiting to upload. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for background.

See also Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for advice on moving your library or recovering content from devices or backups when needed.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 11:29 AM in response to Artbrain

iTunes doesn't change the format of songs by itself. There is the potential when using Apple Music or iTunes Match as a way of copying the library to a new computer for that format to change, as the new computer may get matched versions of your originals. The original files would remain in your computer unless you chose to remove them to free up space. Again downloading at a later date might give you AAC files, but this would be you in charge of the change, not iTunes. Missing song might be explained by you using Apple Music or iTunes Match to migrate you library while some content was still waiting to upload. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for background.

See also Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for advice on moving your library or recovering content from devices or backups when needed.

tt2

itunes changed all my files to aac and deleted some songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.