Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac fans!

Hi,

The fans on my iMac seem to be on constantly and incredibly loud.

I don't really use it for any particularly intensive work (2D CAD package - not rendering images or anything like that, word, emails, general internet use etc), but the fans seem to be on almost permanently.

I've tried the classic turn it off and on again. I've tried disconnecting the power cable for 15secs, then what 5secs before turning power on. I've looked at the activity monitor and there is nothing that seems to operating at more than 6% CPU.

I'm by no means an IT-whizz - all of the above are answers I have googled - but there docent seem to be anyway to calm the fans down!

My iMac is :

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 8:33 AM

Please reset the SMC 2-4 times back to back with ALL wired peripherals disconnected (printers, scanners, external HD's etc.) and then retest.

Please follow the instructions for a SMC reset in SMC Reset.

If you still have a problem, please do the following:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Markitect-UK

Please reset the SMC 2-4 times back to back with ALL wired peripherals disconnected (printers, scanners, external HD's etc.) and then retest.

Please follow the instructions for a SMC reset in SMC Reset.

If you still have a problem, please do the following:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

iMac fans!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.