Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the headphone jack on my iMac to connect speakers?

I want to watch a surround sound movie, can I use external speakers using the headphone jack?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 2:10 PM

It is analog speakers which connect to the earphone jack. Digital speakers are either USB or Bluetooth.

I haven't tested this myself but as long as the analog speakers have an external power supply to the speaker amplifier I can't see why it shouldn't work. I used that system on my old Mac Pro. Set it up with the iMac volume set to 50% and adjust the output on the speakers .

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 2:10 PM in response to CaptainDT

It is analog speakers which connect to the earphone jack. Digital speakers are either USB or Bluetooth.

I haven't tested this myself but as long as the analog speakers have an external power supply to the speaker amplifier I can't see why it shouldn't work. I used that system on my old Mac Pro. Set it up with the iMac volume set to 50% and adjust the output on the speakers .

Can I use the headphone jack on my iMac to connect speakers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.