Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant

I have a new Apple Studio. (yay). I will be retiring a 2018 Mac mini. If there is a hidden virus on my Mac mini, would I be at risk of transferring that virus to my new Mac studio if I do a migration?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 7:37 AM

tim37 wrote:

I have a new Apple Studio. (yay). I will be retiring a 2018 Mac mini. If there is a hidden virus on my Mac mini, would I be at risk of transferring that virus to my new Mac studio if I do a migration?

Since there are no Mac "virus" — no.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2022 7:37 AM in response to tim37

tim37 wrote:

Since there are no Mac "virus" — no.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Apr 14, 2022 7:49 AM in response to tim37

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.