Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make available space free

iMac 2017, intel i5, Monterrey 12.3.1

I deleted a metric ton of files (well, to be honest, only 75 GB), and while available space shot up nicely, by the amount of stuff I deleted, free space did not (I only got 10 GB out of it). How do I make available space free? Should I try to defragment the drive? Is there a guide for this kind of stuff I just missed? Everything I found on apple support tells me to delete files, but it's not really working.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 5:43 PM

Most likely, your iMac has a SSD drive ... so you definitely do not want to defrag it. In addition, this drive should be formatted for APFS. Monterey will use two volumes. One will be a semi-permanent size; the other the "data" volume will dynamically grow (or shrink) to fit in the APFS container (what was known as a partition in HFS+).

See if any of the following article can help increase your Mac's storage space.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 5:43 PM in response to Zgriptzy

Most likely, your iMac has a SSD drive ... so you definitely do not want to defrag it. In addition, this drive should be formatted for APFS. Monterey will use two volumes. One will be a semi-permanent size; the other the "data" volume will dynamically grow (or shrink) to fit in the APFS container (what was known as a partition in HFS+).

See if any of the following article can help increase your Mac's storage space.

How to make available space free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.