Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac running super slow

How can I tell if my Mac has a virus? I just updated to the latest OS Monterey 12.3.1 and it takes several minutes to do anything.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:18 PM

10 replies

Apr 14, 2022 1:59 AM in response to shasmith

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

5 - Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Apr 15, 2022 4:18 PM in response to shasmith

shasmith wrote:

I logged into a different user and it worked just fine. Have now logged into my account and it seems to be fixed. Thank you for your help!

That tells us that you have some software installed for your user account that is interfering with performance. Therefore, download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Apr 15, 2022 2:06 PM in response to PRP_53

I have tried twice to reboot in Safe mode and have been unsuccessful. It keeps booting up normally. I restart and hold the Shift key down until the login screen comes up. I also shut it down and then turned it back on holding the Shift key after hitting the power button. Is this the correct way to reboot into Safe Mode?

Apr 16, 2022 3:08 PM in response to PRP_53

"Mac running slow" you have not, give us some little informations on your issue on your mac computer?

P.Philips and Old Todd is good to help you,!

I am just a little mac user, who in my bad english will help you?

Tell us about your mac it is a Desktop or maybe a laptop?,

The name,and your computer, and your opereations system will help us a lot,to solve your problem?

Mac running super slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.