Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 - what is the best type of cable and port to connect to 2 monitors ?

I have just purchased a MacBook Air M1 and am not sure what cable type and port to buy in order to connect to two HP 27f 4K screens.

Any suggestions much appreciated. The choice is huge from looking online. So many different cable types.

many thanks

Alex

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 9:54 AM

4 replies

Apr 15, 2022 12:24 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I looked up online and it appears that using certain ports/hubs does allow for the MacBook M1 to connect to 2 terminals.

For example the Caldigit doc (pls see link below). The challenge I am having is the sheer number of vendors providing this solution at a range of prices, and the equally large choice of connector cables, some of which are not compatible with the M1 chip, from my research.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HMX02ZM/A/caldigit-thunderbolt-3-mini-dock?afid=p239%7C312327&cid=aos-uk-aff-ir

Apr 15, 2022 5:37 AM in response to 1MacAttack

The problem with that approach is that you will rely on third party drivers trying to force operation in an unsupported mode. The result of which is that any macOS update could break the functionality and you will be at the mercy of the third party vendor to update its driver since Apple supplies no help for unsupported modes of operation.

MacBook Air M1 - what is the best type of cable and port to connect to 2 monitors ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.