Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Setup cardio fitness on Apple Watch 7

I got an Apple Watch 7 (running 8.5.1) about 2 months ago and I have an iPhone SE (MHFF3LL/A - about a year old - running 15.4.1). I have logged 11outdoor walk workouts over 30 minutes in duration (plus others of shorter duration, and many other types of workouts). All of these show up in my Fitness app, but my health app does not register my Cardio Fitness - it just says No Data. I have followed all of the calibration steps and setup procedures I can find here and elsewhere online, but I cannot setup cardio fitness.

How do I get cardio fitness to work with my apple watch & iPhone?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 5:33 AM

Possible Solutions for Vo2Max

1.Tighten the watch band a touch and clean the sensors on the bottom of the watch..

2.Reset fitness calibration.

3.Input a VO2 max figure manually based off your last record from the health app then re-calibrate the watch.

4.Put the watch in airplane mode,do a walking/running or hiking workout of at least 20 minutes,when you've finished turn airplane mode off and let the watch sync the data to the phone.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 5:33 AM in response to SteveLasher

Possible Solutions for Vo2Max

1.Tighten the watch band a touch and clean the sensors on the bottom of the watch..

2.Reset fitness calibration.

3.Input a VO2 max figure manually based off your last record from the health app then re-calibrate the watch.

4.Put the watch in airplane mode,do a walking/running or hiking workout of at least 20 minutes,when you've finished turn airplane mode off and let the watch sync the data to the phone.

Apr 15, 2022 6:08 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for those suggestions. I will try those for my next outdoor workout, which will likely be tomorrow (I have reset fitness calibration several times already, tho). With the watch in airplane mode, should I take my phone with me on the walk, leave it at home, or does it matter (since it's in airplane mode)? Just wondering if there is any data that the phone tracks separately from the watch like GPS, or something.

Apr 21, 2022 2:40 PM in response to Community User

Just wanted to revisit this here. I tried your suggestions above with no luck. After contacting Apple support, I was able to actually speak with someone on the engineering team. After analyzing my workout data, the issue turned out to be that my Apple watch, for some inexplicable reason, would just randomly stop tracking my heart rate for several minutes at a time. Sometimes it would be just a few minutes into the workout, sometimes maybe 15 or 20 minutes in, but there was always a gap (I'm reasonably certain my heart was in fact beating during those gaps). So I'm going to see about getting a new device.

Cannot Setup cardio fitness on Apple Watch 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.