Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Cameras, asking calmly.

I know this has already been asked before, but there is something different about my question.

A lot of people had asked why the iPad Pro cannot take portrait on its rear camera. But they did not mention that there is a Lidar (don’t know proper capitalization) scanner that is purpose built to detect how far objects are. There is probably something about this scanner I don’t know, so can someone, preferably someone who had experience with this device (iPad Pro 5th generation) clear things up? If there is no problem with this suggestion, maybe iPad OS 15 release/iPadOS 16 can add it..

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 7:17 PM

The Lidar scanner has nothing to do with the iPad not being able to take a Portrait Mode photo from the rear camera. It is just the way that Apple designed it. This is a user to user support forum and Apple does not participate here. You can provide feedback to Apple regarding a change you would like to see, a change you didn’t like, or report a bug, then use the feedback link here, Feedback - iPad - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2022 7:17 PM in response to iPadUserOfTheYear

The Lidar scanner has nothing to do with the iPad not being able to take a Portrait Mode photo from the rear camera. It is just the way that Apple designed it. This is a user to user support forum and Apple does not participate here. You can provide feedback to Apple regarding a change you would like to see, a change you didn’t like, or report a bug, then use the feedback link here, Feedback - iPad - Apple

Apr 14, 2022 7:14 PM in response to iPadUserOfTheYear

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking. If you want to know in simple terms what the Lidar Scanner is for, this might help:

The on-board LiDAR scanner on iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation and 3rd generation) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation and 5th generation) takes advantage of ARKit 3.5 to help your apps better understand physical environments. ARKit uses the LiDAR Scanner to create a polygonal model of the physical environment.

iPad Pro Cameras, asking calmly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.