Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac is slow after macOS Monterey update

What is up with this ‘system’? It’s bricked my computer these two days since I’ve installed it and NOTHING about it works! What the **** is wrong with this update?

Mail doesn’t update, App Store does not respond, it’s slower than anything I’ve ever had. Still sitting here trying to get the Mac to work TWO days later.

And it won’t let me use time machine to go back to before I installed this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 2:26 AM

Joseph Mannino wrote:

What is up with this ‘system’? It’s bricked my computer these two days since I’ve installed it and NOTHING about it works! What the **** is wrong with this update?

Mail doesn’t update, App Store does not respond, it’s slower than anything I’ve ever had. Still sitting here trying to get the Mac to work TWO days later.

Q - " What the **** is wrong with this update?

A - Update is within the existing version of macOS. Example High Sierra ( from user Profile ) version 10.13.5 to version 10.13.6

A- An UpGrade would be from version 10.13.6 High Sierra to Monterey version 12.3.1

Tips Monterey Upgrade 

The below points should be consider before attempting the upgrade.

Point # 1 - Does the >>  Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade 

Point # 1A - There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Point # 1B - Caution - jumping over all the newer versions and directly to Big Sur  / Monterey on Qualifying computers is Technically possible - there are those who have attempted and were successful. Then there are those who attempted and had less than good results.

If this is a Production or Mission Critical Set-up - a more prudent and measure approach is suggested. 

The above is from observations on the Apple Support Community Forums and IMHO

Point # 2- >> How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

Point # 3 - Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage. 

Point # 4 - Empty Space afterwards - it is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

Point # 5 - The upgrade will require a quick, stable and reliable Internet Connection - preferred method is via Ethernet Connection. 

Point # 6 - If using Wifi - move computer as close to the Access Point / Router and disconnect all other devices connected to Wifi. Want the maximum bandwidth for the computer being upgraded to Monterey

Point # 7 -Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect. 

Point # 8 - If downloading Monterey from behind a VPN it may increase Packet Looses and an incomplete or corrupted Installer.

Point # 9 - AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey

The Built in Security  is all that is required. 

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Point # 10 - Disk Cleaners, Optimizers and UnInstaller are not needed. They will often times attempt to Modify, Alter, Remove or Delete elements of the Operating System requiring a Re-Installation.

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?

Point # 13 - Are the installed Applications / Extensions compatible with Monterey. Check with the Developer for compatible Apps / extensions. Do they offer updates or upgrades. Same goes for Third Party Drivers for Printer, Scanners etc.

Point # 14 - If upgrading from Mojave and earlier versions of macOS - Remember that Monterey does not support anything 32 bit. These include Applications, Extensions and Drivers for any devices. There is no workaround.

Point # 15 - To check for 32 bit Applications - a good application to use is Go64 - safe to use.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 2:26 AM in response to Joseph Mannino

Joseph Mannino wrote:

Q - " What the **** is wrong with this update?

A - Update is within the existing version of macOS. Example High Sierra ( from user Profile ) version 10.13.5 to version 10.13.6

A- An UpGrade would be from version 10.13.6 High Sierra to Monterey version 12.3.1

Tips Monterey Upgrade 

The below points should be consider before attempting the upgrade.

Point # 1 - Does the >>  Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade 

Point # 1A - There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Point # 1B - Caution - jumping over all the newer versions and directly to Big Sur  / Monterey on Qualifying computers is Technically possible - there are those who have attempted and were successful. Then there are those who attempted and had less than good results.

If this is a Production or Mission Critical Set-up - a more prudent and measure approach is suggested. 

The above is from observations on the Apple Support Community Forums and IMHO

Point # 2- >> How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

Point # 3 - Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage. 

Point # 4 - Empty Space afterwards - it is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

Point # 5 - The upgrade will require a quick, stable and reliable Internet Connection - preferred method is via Ethernet Connection. 

Point # 6 - If using Wifi - move computer as close to the Access Point / Router and disconnect all other devices connected to Wifi. Want the maximum bandwidth for the computer being upgraded to Monterey

Point # 7 -Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect. 

Point # 8 - If downloading Monterey from behind a VPN it may increase Packet Looses and an incomplete or corrupted Installer.

Point # 9 - AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey

The Built in Security  is all that is required. 

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Point # 10 - Disk Cleaners, Optimizers and UnInstaller are not needed. They will often times attempt to Modify, Alter, Remove or Delete elements of the Operating System requiring a Re-Installation.

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?

Point # 13 - Are the installed Applications / Extensions compatible with Monterey. Check with the Developer for compatible Apps / extensions. Do they offer updates or upgrades. Same goes for Third Party Drivers for Printer, Scanners etc.

Point # 14 - If upgrading from Mojave and earlier versions of macOS - Remember that Monterey does not support anything 32 bit. These include Applications, Extensions and Drivers for any devices. There is no workaround.

Point # 15 - To check for 32 bit Applications - a good application to use is Go64 - safe to use.

Apr 15, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Joseph Mannino

I appreciate the list of usual suspects, but I've been using Apples for decades, starting with my original dual drive SE. I tend to be the one people come to to fix their issues, so last night was a howl of frustration.

The default power setting tries to sleep the hard drive whenever possible, so there was one issue. There was a second system update I did manage to get installe and was hoping that was a response to complaints, but the speed is still unacceptable, as it is minutes for a response to a mouse click and there is a distinct tendency to become unresponsive. It did give me the 'it will be slow as optimization occurs', then the Finder crashed.

I am still inclined this update is problematic or my computer should not have been indicated to upgrade to it. Since the cat series, I've trusted Apple, so I'll do the upgrades as they become recommended. So I had been up to date, everything working fine. This was recommended and clearly I was mistaken trusting Apple that I should install it.

I'll give it a few more restarts to allow it to try to optimize, but likely will need to call customer support later.

My Mac is slow after macOS Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.