Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move the trend line equation and R^2 value in my chart?

So eight years after others asked the same question, nothing has changed and you still can't move the stupid trendline? How can I select the text and then paste it in a new text box?

I have spent hours making a simple chart fighting with the simplest things.

Apple's Numbers is still an ad for Excel. If I needed to use Excel more than a couple times a year I would just pony up for it. I just bought a new MBP and it has the same crummy apple software on it that is unusable. If they aren't going to put programming talent and effort into their software, why do they even bother?

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 5:35 AM

We're your fellow users here. I happen to like Numbers a lot. I also appreciate the power of Excel. Numbers does not try to be Excel. It has its own strengths that Excel does not have. If you have feedback you would like to give Apple then you can try Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

SG

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 5:35 AM in response to hbridge55

We're your fellow users here. I happen to like Numbers a lot. I also appreciate the power of Excel. Numbers does not try to be Excel. It has its own strengths that Excel does not have. If you have feedback you would like to give Apple then you can try Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

SG

Apr 18, 2022 7:21 PM in response to hbridge55

I believe the ability to move the trend line equation was removed when they went from Numbers '09 to Numbers 3 and it has never been brought back. I do not recall if you could ever copy the text. Sorry.

There are some other features that go dropped back then that I wish they would bring back (like WYSIWYG page layout, listing the sheets and tables down the lefthand side vs across the top, useful formatting options on the toolbar vs click click clicking in the various tabs of the formatting sidebar). They've added some nice new features over the years but some of the ones that set it apart from the competition got dropped, apparently never to return. It seemed the design philosophy was "if the iPad can't do it, we'll remove it from the Mac version."

Apr 18, 2022 10:24 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks for the info, even though there seems to be no solution to the (simple) things I want to do. You can make pretty charts with Numbers (after some quirks and googling around etc etc) so a fine tool for people who need to make pretty charts. All the visual features are pretty much useless to me if the math doesn't work. Engineered stupidity. Oh well I'll look into excel. Or give open office a look. Open office was just kind of tedious to use, but Numbers seems just as tedious.

Thanks again for the reply

Apr 18, 2022 11:49 PM in response to hbridge55

Hi hbridge55,

You wrote: All the visual features (of Numbers) are pretty much useless to me if the math doesn't work.

Just curious—what is the math that doesn't work?

Regarding OpenOffice: There are several varieties of what was initially StarOffice, then evolved into OpenOffice and other varients.

LibreOffice appears to be the version with the most active development program currently. It also has extensive documentation for those who read the manuals.

Regards,

Barry

How do I move the trend line equation and R^2 value in my chart?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.