Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers help

Is there an equivalent in Numbers to Excel's "Connect data points with line" for formatting a chart with empty cells in the data sheet?

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 5:48 PM

There is not.

If in your table you hide the rows with no data, it will not chart those rows and it will connect all the other points. But if you want those rows to take up space on the X axis (assuming this is a line/category chart), this won't do what you want.

It is not too much trouble to interpolate a single missing point between two good points so it can be plotted but I don't know if anyone here has come up with a way to interpolate across several (an unknown number of) blank rows. Will you have two or more missing points clustered together or only one at a time?

This question comes up from time to time and it would be nice if Numbers would add the feature. You can request it using the menu item Numbers->Provide Numbers Feedback.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 5:48 PM in response to Doug P

There is not.

If in your table you hide the rows with no data, it will not chart those rows and it will connect all the other points. But if you want those rows to take up space on the X axis (assuming this is a line/category chart), this won't do what you want.

It is not too much trouble to interpolate a single missing point between two good points so it can be plotted but I don't know if anyone here has come up with a way to interpolate across several (an unknown number of) blank rows. Will you have two or more missing points clustered together or only one at a time?

This question comes up from time to time and it would be nice if Numbers would add the feature. You can request it using the menu item Numbers->Provide Numbers Feedback.

Feb 13, 2023 5:51 PM in response to Badunit

Thank you. At least I can stop looking now. The column with the missing points can have anywhere from 1 to 10 missing values as the year progresses. I use it to record cumulative miles traveled and the empty cells represent no miles on the particular day. Maybe my best approach will be to fill the empty cells with the previous value. That should be easy although the chart may look funky. I'll request the feature, but I'm starting to think that Apple doesn't operate at my beck and call.

numbers help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.